Access all Areas
Almost half (49%) of guide dog owners surveyed have experienced an access refusal in the last year. With your help, we’re campaigning so that assistance dog owners can access taxis, shops and restaurants without being refused entry, in line with their legal rights.
Each refusal is crushing, confidence shattering, rejecting, and traumatic. I always feel that I don't want to go out after - but work dictates I must.
Guide dog owner, Stevenage
Under the Equality Act, guide dog and other assistance dog owners have the right to enter the majority of services, premises and vehicles with their dog. The most frequent places that guide dog owners are refused access is taxis, restaurants and shops.
Teach a taxi driver new tricks
Hail storm 2016
This report takes a closer look at the experiences of assistance dog owners and the taxi and private hire vehicle (PHV) industry. A survey of over 500 people found that 42% had been refused access by a taxi or PHV in the last year. Read more about how and why these refusals are happening, the impact they have, and our recommendations for change.
Access All Areas Report 2015
A survey of over 1,110 assistance dog owners revealed that 75% have experienced an access refusal. Read the report to find out where good practice is happening, as well as where access refusals are taking place and why.
To help you if you've experience an access refusal or want to campaign, we’ve produced a series of resources:
- Top tips for taxi drivers (PDF 1551Kb)
- Access all areas toolkit (PDF 1320Kb)
- Access card (PDF 80Kb)
- Guide Dogs taxi policy (PDF 837Kb)
- Allergies and fear (PDF 319Kb)
- Educational institutions access guide (PDF 442Kb)
- Food premises access guide (PDF 3058Kb)
- Good lighting guide (PDF 3970Kb)
- Guide dogs in the workplace (PDF 591Kb)
- Guide to spending facilities (PDF 411Kb)
- Hotels access guide (PDF 4028Kb)
- Leisure facilities access guide (PDF 409Kb)
- Medical facilities access guide (PDF 2994Kb)
- Opening doors guide (PDF 302Kb)
- Renting a property access guide (PDF 336Kb)
- Shops and retail outlets access guide (PDF 358Kb)
- Sports stadia access guide (PDF 989Kb)
- Taxis access guide (PDF 1058Kb)
- Top tips for taxi drivers - Welsh version (PDF 444Kb)
- Top tips for taxi drivers (PDF (1) 1638Kb)
- Veterinary practices access guide (PDF 563Kb)
We'd love to hear from you!
c/o London Mobility Team, 7 Manor Road, Woodford, Woodford Green, IG8 8ER